Building a New Email Server from Components

I spent most of the late morning and afternoon yesterday building my first AMD Athlon-based server from individually bought parts. Here are the pieces that I assembled:

It took me a while to figure out how to put these parts together. The ASUS motherboard and the AMD Athlon are really well documented. Installing an Athlon with the heatsink on top is a new experience. I was sure I was breaking the processor when I was trying to lock the heatsink onto it.

I don't normally put ATX systems together, so this was the first time I had to figure out how to connect the front panel power switch correctly to the motherboard just to get the machine to start. The first time I did it I had the wires flipped.

The key to this project is not installing the CPU correctly, attaching the hard drives to the case, or installing Linux, it's getting Sendmail to work with SpamAssassin and Vipul's Razor. That will be taking a lot of my time for the next few days.